Κυριακή 22 Ιουλίου 2012

Τρία τραγούδια από την εποχή και τα έργα του Σαίξπηρ...

..............................................................

We be soldiers three






1. We be soldiers three
Pardona moy je vous an pree1
Lately come forth of the low contry
With never a penny of mony.2
2. Here, good fellow, I'll drink to thee
Pardona moy je vous an pree
To all good fellows wherever they be
With never a penny of mony.
3. Here, good fellow, I'll sing you a song,
Sing for the brave and sing for the strong,
To all those living and those who are gone,
With never a penny of mony3
4. And he who will not pledge me this
Pardona moy je vous an pree
Payes for the shot what ever it is
With never a penny of mony.


 ............................................................

Greensleeves

 

Greensleeves

 Alas, my love, you do me wrong,
To cast me off discourteously.
For I have loved you well and long,
Delighting in your company.

Chorus:

Greensleeves was all my joy
Greensleeves was my delight,
Greensleeves was my heart of gold,
And who but my lady greensleeves.

Your vows you've broken, like my heart,

Oh, why did you so enrapture me?
Now I remain in a world apart
But my heart remains in captivity.

chorus


I have been ready at your hand,

To grant whatever you would crave,
I have both wagered life and land,
Your love and good-will for to have.

chorus


If you intend thus to disdain,

It does the more enrapture me,
And even so, I still remain
A lover in captivity.

chorus


My men were clothed all in green,

And they did ever wait on thee;
All this was gallant to be seen,
And yet thou wouldst not love me.

chorus


Thou couldst desire no earthly thing,

but still thou hadst it readily.
Thy music still to play and sing;
And yet thou wouldst not love me.

chorus


Well, I will pray to God on high,

that thou my constancy mayst see,
And that yet once before I die,
Thou wilt vouchsafe to love me.

chorus


Ah, Greensleeves, now farewell, adieu,

To God I pray to prosper thee,
For I am still thy lover true,
Come once again and love me.

chorus


@courting

recorded by Deller Consort on Best Loved Songs
also Dyer-Bennett

(DT of April 1996)




............................................................


It was a lover and his lass


 


It Was a Lover and His Lass

It Was a Lover and His Lass

It was a lover and his lass
  With a hey and a ho and a hey nonni no
  With a hey nonni nonni no
That o'er the green cornfields did pass

  In springtime, in springtime
  In springtime, the only pretty ring time
  When the birds do sing
  Hey ding a ding a ding
  Hey ding a ding a ding
  Hey ding a ding a ding
  Sweet lovers love the spring

Between the acres of rye...
These pretty country folks would lie...
And therefore take the present time...
For love is crowned with the prime...
___________
quoted by Shakespeare in "As you Like It"
SOF
 

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: